Training, Schools & outside dogs
As detailed in "Our History" I have been involved with working dogs for many years. I started with just on kelpie and as the requirements for working dogs progressed over the years I now have 6 females and 4 male border collies. My training has developed to include a range of other interests. I am extremely passionate about dogs and have based my whole life around developing a better understanding of dogs and training methods. I now breed, train and teach all aspects of working and having these wonderful dogs.
In 2010 I began competing in Sheep Dog Trials and although I attend only a few trials per year I was fortunate to win Queensland Novice Handler in 2015 and 2016. In 2016 I won my first Open and am now an Open handler. My dogs, especially Kaden's Dark Angel have placed me in many finals and although it is pleasing to trial it is the success in the paddock that gives me the most satisfaction.
Over the years, I have enrolled in recognized qualifications which include:
- Dog Psychology & Training - BAG221
- Certificate in Pet Obedience Trainer - 86400
In 2016 & 2017, I hosted "Kaden's Working Dog School's" at Longreach, with a great attendance on a weekly basis. I assisted a large number of people begin or further their working dog training. It was very rewarding at the completion of the course, to see so many handlers able to control their dogs in a trial course situation. Many of the participating dogs, were town dogs and handlers who had never seen a sheep before. Some of the students excelled and went on to compete at the local show in a small short course for beginners.
From the completion of the "Kaden's Working Dog School's" I hosted "Obedience & Agility Training" at Longreach. This was also well supported and was a great way to have fun with your dog while sharing in the learning experience.
I was honoured to be an instructor in the "Mental Health Working Stock Dog School" held at Longreach. With all proceeds donated to the Black Dog Institute. It was very rewarding to see 20 dog enthusiasts from across the region attend and was a great success.
- "Denise is extremely experienced with dogs. Her knowledge and understanding is unreal. Yet her ability to explain and demonstrate is very common sense and easy to understand. She shows a different perspective to activities in a enjoyable and successful approach. There is not much, dog or handler related, that Denise can not help with. We really appreciate her support and guidance in getting started in Elmo" Melinda Davies (Kaden's Working Dog Schools & Mental Health Working Stock Dog School)
- "Having attended all 3 of the Kaden courses, obedience, agility and working dog, I have found Denise's patient and positive training to be of great benefit to our family. Denise helped us with our rescue staffy, dealing with issues such as dog aggression, lead pulling and recalls, as well as general obedience. Our staffy went on to participate in Agility, which gave us both great enjoyment. Attending the working dog sessions allowed me to communicate effectively with my Kelpie x, increasing his confidence in handling stock, and mine in instructing him. Denise trained me to communicate with my dogs effectively, using different methods for different breeds, and always in a positive manner." Tash Smith - Bash & Tammy
I offer a range of services to assist you in handling and training your pet or working dog.
From basic commands and manners to more advanced manoeuvres, games and working abilities.
My training is based on a rewarding and encouraging system, with fun based learning for both the handler and the dog. I also take outside dogs for training.
I can assist with most dog issues and training in the following options:
- "Review My Video" with written response.
- Individual or group settings
- 6 week schools or weekend classes or on your property schools
- Equipment provided in working dog schools
- Training advice/tutorials and video tutorials available to purchase
Some of the things I can assist with:
- Activities and Exercises to liven up stale training or to learn new skills
- Teaching obedience and Manners - from basic commands such as sit and come to more advanced.
- Problem Solving such as barking, jumping and other issues you are having
- Choosing, starting and problem solving working dogs on both sheep and cattle
- Common topics include - Getting pup's started, putting commands on your dog, casting and working as a team..
FOR TRAINING OPTIONS PLEASE OPEN THE SUB-PAGES OFF THE MENU BAR - "TRAINING & SCHOOLS"